Tuesday 3 January 2012

Worst blogger in the world Part 1: from when we last spoke to the end of term.

Well Hey there, long time no see. I know I'm to blame, but it's a busy time of year and you probably wouldn't have time to read this before now anyway. So we're good?
Good.

Let me take you back to the last two weeks of term - more than likely I'll mention things out of order, but I expect you can handle that. When we last spoke, I mentioned that I was having a Christmassy day with my housemates on Saturday, so I went Christmas shopping into town with Asha, Emily and Sara. I had a dance rehearsal for the Christmas Showcase in the morning, so joined the party late. After a quick cheesecake in Nandos we embarked on the cobbled streets of York. All in all, we were pretty unsuccessful. We spent a decent handful of minutes spraying about perfumes in Boots then spent £17 on Christmas decorations in Poundland. The results of which You can see in this brilliant photo of our Christmas Dinner taken by Asha and mocked by me, but, SPOILERS...

G2 Acoustic Cluster
The following week was a blur of essay deadlines, final lectures and dance rehearsals, but amidst all that were two nice Christmassy events. On the Monday was the G2 Student Cluster acoustic night. Let me break that down for you. G2, one of the churches I go to, has weekly cell groups, which are small bible study/talk about last weeks service type affairs. The cell groups are lumped together into other bigger groups called clusters; the student cluster is made up of three cell groups. Every now and then the cluster has a social. This was one of those cluster events. They'd booked out the top floor of a nice bar, booked a few acoustic sets and decorated the place for Christmas. It was lovely. It was also great to see everyone again after the G2 weekend away and catch up on the whole week we'd been apart. There were also some new faces, which is always fun! The Thursday of the same week was the St Michael le Belfrey (my other church...) carol service, which was held in the York Minster - just to confuse everything! It was so beautiful. I queued with Irene (I don't think I've introduced you to Irene yet, she's a second year, I met her first at Halifax CU but she's also one of my cell group leaders. She's really lovely to chat to, oh and she's from Norway!) and ate my take out McDonalds in the queue, which I just about stuffed into my mouth before walking into the Minster. What can I say, I'm a classy lady. Other highlights of the carol service include being given some free fair trade chocolate and Asha arriving late and calling me during Once in Royal David's City...

That Saturday was the Christmas Showcase, which included a full day of rehearsals, many Pringles and a significant amount of moaning. I'll do what I can to upload the video of the dance I was in. It was choreographed by a second year called Melissa Hunt, she's a brilliant choreographer, but hopefully you'll be able to see that for yourself!


Hayley and myself at Hayley's
The next week was a little bit mental, on the Monday I had an interview with York Archaeological Trust (YAT) for a position as a volunteer events assistant, which I now have, pending references. I also went into York to do all of my Christmas shopping, York is such a lovely place to shop. There aren't any shopping malls, all the shops just long winding cobbled streets where you'll find a quirky little gift shop next to a high street store, which keeps things fresh. In the evening, I went over to another house in Halifax college to celebrate Hayley's birthday, who I know from CU, are you keeping up with all of these people? ....I'm not! Tuesday night was the Halifax CU social, for which we all dressed up and went out for a lovely meal at this fancy (but not overpriced) restaurant on Petergate in York. We then went to a bar to have a few drinks and a handful of us went out to Salvation afterwards, which was fun, but packed and possibly a little bit on the suffocating side. Enjoy some snaps.

Table shot at La Vecchia Scuola
Myself and Jessie in 1331
Natalie, Mary and Pippa in Club Salvation

Chicken massacre!
So now, it's finally Thursday, which was Christmas Day in Wood K, House K. I baked apple pie, Szonja made carrot and nut cakes, Emily roasted a chicken, which I then massacred... we had crackers, Santa hats and much fun. I'm getting ahead of myself... we sent Asha out shopping for some bits and pieces we'd forgotten, mostly she did okay. Although, instead of bacon, Emily had to cover the chicken in parma ham... that however, is nothing in comparison to this conversation... "Do you want yellow lemons or green lemons?" "Asha... green lemons are limes..."

So finally, we have arrived to the last day of term, Sara's already gone, Emily's off at a house drinking 5 bottles of wine between 2 people whilst Asha, Szonja, Seb, Alex (have I introduced Alex? He's Seb's housemate) and myself enjoy a bottle of ten year old whisky whilst Asha packs. Student life aye? We, well I, get all emotional as we all book our taxis to the train station for the following day. And we all say goodnight, 4 hours between Asha is due to get up to go the next morning.

Asha didn't quite get up at that time... instead she woke up when the taxi driver rang to let her know that he was ready and waiting, oops? I thinking I'm painting a pretty apt picture of Asha in this blog! The next day I packed up my things - more Christmas presents than anything else - and watched Disney's Peter Pan with Emily, before climbing into my taxi and onto my train. Leicesterbound.

And we will pick up there for tomorrow's bedtime story.
Night children! xoxo

PS. Couple of technical points, for those of you who are my friends on Facebook you may have noticed I set it up to post my tweets on Facebook, I've stopped it doing that now, so I don't annoy everyone - I realised that I tweet more than I thought I did!
Also, I somehow managed to set this blog to open all links in a new tab, I know this is really annoying, because if even you click on a different post it opens separately... I'll get on sorting that out, sorry!

1 comment: