Sunday 13 November 2011

Just the best bits: university madness continues

I've made an executive decision to not try and talk you through everything that's happened 1) because there's just too much 2) because quite frankly that would be boring and 3) because I should probably be sleeping right now.

I'll start by telling you a little bit about church. I'm kind of going along to two churches, although, one is sort of part of the other, so let's call it one and a half churches? St Michael le Belfrey is the church I go to with Asha on Sunday evenings, which is a standard Church of England building, which would look pretty beautiful if it wasn't located across the road from the amazing York Minster. Belfrey is a brilliant church, it's got the traditional and the new blended perfectly, there's a good bunch of students in the evening service, but there's also a great feeling of being a community of all ages. G2 is the other church I go to, it starts at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon and we sit around tables, drink coffee and do church like that, it's a great group of people and a really relaxed setting - but don't be thinking the teaching is relaxed too, it's really challenging and relevant.
I've also been going along to Halifax college CU, well, I have been when I manage to co-ordinate finishing dinner in time to get there! As part of that I've been helping out with munchies, which is every Tuesday night in the Halifax common room, we give out free toasties and hot drinks to people as they leave for/come back from nights out, it's brilliant fun, but contributes to disrupted sleep patterns!

Last time we spoke I mentioned that I had joined the Dance Society and taken up street dance, as part of that I'm now in a dance - contemporary, not street! - for the dance showcase at the end of term. We've only had 2 rehearsals so far, but the choreography is brilliant, and all the girls are lovely, it just feels great to be properly dancing again and so far my knee has been more or less behaving itself! I've failed to find a ballet school, so on Monday I'm planning on heading along and joining the ballet society as well, to make sure I don't slip on technique.


On Thursday night I went out to a club called Tokyo with Asha and Szonja, Thursdays at Tokyo are the official University of York nights, so we bumped into so many people that we recognise from our courses/around Halifax, which just made for a brilliant night! It was a UV party, so obviously I painted my face in ridiculous bright colours, and there were UV bubbles, yes, UV BUBBLES, it was a great night. I've decided that my favourite part of any night out is when it gets to about 2am and they play Mr Brightside, Sum41, Wheatus, Fountains of Wayne etc, and everyone just goes mental for it! After getting home at 3am, I then worked to prepare for my seminar the next day until about 5.30am - at this point my sleep pattern wasn't disrupted, it was just absent.


As good as everything about university has been, the most exciting part of this week has to be my first few articles going up on The Yorker website, so far I've written an article about the independent bookshops of York, part 2 of which goes up tomorrow! (or today if you're going to be pedantic about it...) the second article was a review of a play put on by the DramaSoc. I am most excited though, by tomorrow night(/tonight...) as have my first press ticket, I'm going to be reviewing The Essence of Ireland at the Grand Opera House in York - CAN'TWAITCAN'TWAITCAN'TWAIT. If you've not read the articles yet and you want to - no pressure - you should be able to find the links among my twitter feed to your right, or just go here, and you should be able to spot everything. Especially the bookshop one... since it's the biggest link on the page (!!!!!).

I almost forgot to mention that Sam came to visit a couple of weeks ago! It was great to see him, and he totally agreed that York is way better then Leicester - PRIDE. I have a pretty full schedule planned for the weekend, at the end of which he made me promise not to try and fit so many things in next time! Whilst he was here it was the Illuminating York festival - basically pretty lights are projected onto the prettiest buildings in the city and it's all good fun! I'll see if I can load up a video of the impressive graphic display on the Castle Museum. Apologies for the occasional bizarre comment from myself whilst filming!


I honestly promise to work out some kind of rhythm to how this blogging thing is going to work while I'm at university, this has been another slightly jumbled up post - I'll let you know if I ever get any part of my life sorted into another moderately recognizable as organised.
Hope you're well, speak soon! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment