Friday 2 December 2011

It's been a 'What a day!' kind of month.

Tonight, I was supposed to be going to see Midsummer Night's Dream at the York Theatre Royal with Emily and Asha, but we kind of left the house a little bit too late, so instead, we made chocolate cake (without eggs - who knew that was possible!), started decorating the kitchen for christmas and watched Love Actually! ...we're going to go and see Midsummer tomorrow night instead!

I've not really been up to much since we last spoke.
Oh, you know I'm kidding; I need to come up with some alternative words to mental/crazy/busy otherwise this blog is going to start to get mighty monotonous.
Where to start...

I went to visit Sam in Leicester for a few days, during which I went to see the Tigers beat Ulster at Welford Road and I also, in a spur of the moment decision, went to see Leicester City beat Crystal Palace at the King Power Stadium. The contrast between rugby and football fans is brilliant. In rugby, the crowd goes silent when a player prepares to take a penalty (of which there were loads...) or conversion, whilst in football, silence would be impossible. I've never been to a football game before so it was quite an experience to hear some of the rather, er, colourful chants. In the rugby the slightest expletive was silenced by shouts of 'How eloquent!' and 'Keep it PG, there are kids about!'. In fairness though, I can mock the rowdy football fans as much as I like, but I 'Nigel Pearson's blue army' got stuck in my head for days and the chant that was my personal favourite was 'You should've gone Christmas shopping!' - brilliant!
Whilst I was at Sam's he let me play on my Wii (which is technically my present from him for Christmas and my birthday... so strictly speaking I definitely shouldn't be playing on it!), but that meant going into GAME and buying myself a copy of 'Zelda: Twilight Princess' - SO MUCH FUN. Now the Wii is sat in it's box in my - messy - room at uni, and I can't play on it 1) because it's not Christmas yet!! and 2) because I have no TV. So sad.

3, 2, 1, NINJA!
The weekend after being at Sam's, which was last weekend, I went on the G2 weekend away to the Jonas Centre near Wensleydale. The centre was brilliant, we stayed in these really cute (and surprisingly warm) log cabins. We had some brilliant talks from a youth worker from Scarborough called Nick. I also went to a great seminar about what faith is, which would have been AMAZING, if I wasn't so absolutely, completely shattered and unable to focus. I saved a copy of the sheet with the quotes on though, because it was really interesting. Another thing I learnt that weekend is that I am a massively awkward eater, I need to work on my inability to swallow spicy food! The weekend was a great chance to get to know all the people from G2, and I'm so glad I went because they're such a brilliant bunch of people. I finally learnt how to play Ninja as well, I'm totally awful at it, but it's good fun.
After the weekend away we went to the Christingle service at St Michael le Belfrey :D :D :D I love Christingle!! I think Gav (potentially I told you about him, Sam and I met him at Soul Survivor, refer back for details...) found my excitement a bit strange, but it's such a typical childhood experience!

I was ill at the start of this week, so that brings us to tonight, which ended up being a prelude to our Christmas day on Saturday; we're going Ice Skating and then Christmas shopping, yey!
Christmas social/party type events start this weekend, so I'll have so much to tell you by the end of term! I also however have lots of essay reading/planning/writing to do, so it will be a balancing act as per usual. I'm kind of feeling too sleepy to find and upload any photos tonight, but I'm sure I'll come and add some tomorrow when I'm procrastinating in the face of a book titled 'The History of the Footnote' (*crying inside*), but for now, I'll start thinking about sleep :)

Hope you're keeping well! xoxo

P.S. Keep checking my Twitter Feed for articles that I write for The Yorker, or there's a link to all of them on Elisabeth Writes

No comments:

Post a Comment