Wednesday 2 November 2011

Call me Febreze because I'm feeling fresh: a not quite chronological account of my first fortnight at the University of York


So, you can’t be blaming me for not speaking to you for 3 weeks, I’ve only spoken to my parents three times. I guess you could say I’ve been busy, I don’t really know where to start?

Myself, Szonja, David and Asha
I arrived with my parentals at Halifax College on Sunday 9th October. I wasn’t planning on going out that night, since I was all tired out from our long and late journey up. But, about 20 minutes after my parents dropped me off, I went to collect my Freshers’ Week wristband (apologies to Rachel Flynn, total waste of money!!) and was given the tshirt for the first night. All within about 5 minutes of deciding to go out after all, I did my standard cutting off of the sleeves, wacked on a pair of wedges and met more people than my phone has memory for.

At this point, I feel that I should introduce you to some new people.

Asha, is originally from India, but has lived all over the world – Switzerland, Thailand and New York to name a few! She lives in my house, is studying Environmental Economics and goes to church with me on a Sunday evening, to St Michael le Belfrey.

Emily, is from the Isle of Wight (a floating council estate that can’t even spell ‘white’ right and gets in the way of the view of France – according to the presenter of the YUSU comedy night!) and applied to study History, is currently studying History of Art and will probably end up studying something else… long story. Also in my house.

Sara, is a medic, from Northampton, works insanely hard and leant me all of the Harry Potter films in the first two weeks. She also has the homeliest uni room I have ever seen. Also in my house.

Szonja, is from Hungary and is studying Biology. She speaks about a hundred languages and cooks amazing looking food. Also in my house.

Seb, is half polish, I met him through Szonja. He is actually the most hilarious person I’ve ever met because he is so excitable and never finishes his sentences. He’s studying History, can write in Tolkein’s Elvish and knows basically the whole history of Middle Earth, we’re going to be the co-founders of the University of York TolkSoc, watch this space!

For now, that’s probably everyone you need to know, I’ll introduce you to other people when they come up. So, back to Freshers’ antics…

The first night was a ‘bar crawl’, in inverted commas because we didn’t leave Halifax college until about 11pm, spent about 20 minutes in the first pub before going to Club Salvation. Halifax is the biggest college, pushing on about 1000 first years, apparently. Everyone with the blue and white Halifax tshirts got free entry to Salvation, so the place was packed, it was great, but we didn’t stay too long, because I was nodding off  between each of my gawky dance moves. Hardcore, oh, I know. Asha and I then stayed up until about 2am chatting in the kitchen. At some point during this time, Emily arrived home, with tears – and mascara – streaming down her face, having asked a taxi driver to take her to Halifax college, ended up in Halifax – a place about 30miles out of York – and had to hitchhike back. Obviously horrific on the night, but she is now able to claim the prize of having the best Freshers’ Fortnight anecdote! Silver lining and all…

The next few days consisted of pre-drinking in the next door kitchen, but not actually drinking that much myself, because apparently ‘I’ve Never’ done much interesting stuff. One night that week, I forget which… Szonja, Seb, a guy called David and I went and hung out in the common room, on what I can only tell you are the best and biggest bean bags I have ever encountered. We tried and failed to watch a film, and spent hours playing classical music on youtube. At about 3am we decided that would be a good time to head back to my room and watch Pretty Woman, which finished at 5am. Mental.

There were a couple of other Salvation nights over the two weeks of Fresher’s events, but I’m sure you don’t want to know the details of every single one. A night out is a night out after all. The best night of the whole Fortnight was Live and Loud. But, I get ahead of myself. The night before was the comedy night. The guy presenting the thing was brilliant, no idea who he was but his audience participation/banter was gold (as demonstrated in his Isle of Wight comment), the first act was Joe Lycett, who I say on Chris Addison’s Show and Tell not long ago. I’m not his massive fan, but I was massively disappointed. Every single one of his jokes had been on Show and Tell. Now, I understand that comedians have to reuse their material, but to me, it seems pretty rubbish to reuse material that he used on a national TV programme – which wasn’t his own stand up show – and to add insult to injury, it wasn’t just the jokes that were the same, it was every single turn of phrase, every single significant pause, every single gesture and every single facial expression was identical. I was never amazed by him, but now I’m completely disillusioned. For a further smack around the face, Sean Walsh pulled out of headlining a few days before and was replaced by Tom Deacon. He was pretty funny, but also a bit of a mumbler and I would have preferred Sean Walsh.

In our hats!
Myself and Asha
Rizzle Kicks!
I’ll delay no more, the big night. Live and Loud. Genuinely a brilliant night. To begin with, Asha and I had awesome hats made for us out of balloons, then there were some amazing fireworks. Silent Disco, Rizzle Kicks, Pigeon Detectives and DJ Fresh – and all before midnight! I can’t really describe it, so I’ll give you a bunch of pictures! One of my favourite – if a little bit corny – bits of the night was the Wish Bridge. Basically you wrote your wish for the years of your degree on a piece of card and tied it to Central Bridge. I was really rubbish and just wrote ‘To Pass’, but there were some really beautiful ones on there – I read an amazing one about someone’s boyfriend who’s just left for a tour in Afghanistan. I really hope they let us do the same thing on our graduation!
with Seb in the Silent disco



Freshers’ Fair was another big event – wanna know what I joined? I bet you do! Christian Union, Sailing Club, the Arts Team for the Yorker (online newspaper/magazine), The Looking Glass Anthology (an annual anthology of creative writing my York students) and Dance Society (I’m doing street dance!!) – so not too many really! But I’m also in the process of finding a ballet school and I’m planning to do a late audition for the university orchestra.
Okay, I’ve kind of run out of steam for now. I havn’t even mentioned church or my course yet. I’ll try and do another post at the weekend, as well as writing my long overdue reviews…

Bear with me! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment